CLICK TO REGISTER
2024 Western Equipment Ag Tech Invitational
Western Equipment formally invites all high school juniors and seniors to participate in our annual agricultural technician contest which will take place January 20, 2024, at our dealership in Plainview, TX. At this event, students will be able to show off their skill level in today’s high-tech, fast-paced field of agricultural mechanization. We encourage students of all backgrounds to participate who have an interest in mechanics—no prior agricultural experience is needed.
Contestants will have the opportunity to compete for $75,000 in scholarships* and $45,000 in prizes! They will also be able to apply for summer internships within Western Equipment.
Registration for this event opens November 13, 2023, and will remain open until spots are filled. There are limited spots available for the event.
About the Contest
With so much uncertainty surrounding many career paths these days, being a technician in the agriculture industry is one you can be sure of. The goal of this contest is both to celebrate the skills needed to perform such a job, as well as expose students to the opportunities available within the field of agricultural mechanization, specifically within Western Equipment. Students will apply mechanical knowledge, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills and interact with industry professionals.
Students will all compete as individuals – this is not a team event. However, we encourage and welcome multiple students from each school to attend. High school juniors and seniors from any state are welcome to participate.
Tools will be provided for event participants.
Rules & Regulations
1. Eligible participants must be in their junior or senior year of high school. No participation in specific clubs or organizations is required.
2. Awards, prizes, and scholarships are provided by Western Equipment.*
3. The contest will be judged by Western Equipment, John Deere corporate representatives, Navarro College, and Garden City Community College, as well as other industry professionals. During the contest, students may be evaluated for potential future job opportunities within the industry.
4. The use of phones is prohibited. All students must turn over their phones to their guardian(s) or leave them in a secure safe provided by Western Equipment during the event.
5. Only the judges and the supervising attendants will be permitted in the immediate vicinity while the contest is taking place. However, any parents or guardian are encouraged to attend the event.
6. Decisions of the judges will be final. If a participant does not follow rules, they will forfeit their ability to win prizes and scholarships.
The written test will be comprised of general mechanical questions, comprised of true/false and multiple choice. Multiple-choice questions may have one or more correct answers.
Mechanical Aptitude Evaluation & Tests
John Deere mowers, Gators, tractors, harvesting equipment, and related parts may be considered for equipment evaluation and testing. Basic understanding and use of electrical systems, tools and multi-meters will be an advantage.
A career show will be held during the competition for all event guests and spectators highlighting other career opportunities within Western Equipment. Depending on the number of contestants, this event will tentatively last from 8 AM to 2:30 PM.
For more information about this contest, contact James Boone at firstname.lastname@example.org or 580-309-3974.
*Scholarships awarded will only be applicable to the John Deere Ag Tech Program through Western Equipment. Previous year winners cannot win combined scholarship over $30,000, but are eligible to win all other prizes.