2020 Western Equipment Ag Tech Open Invitational
January 18, 2020
Western Equipment formally invites all area high school juniors and seniors to participate in its inaugural ag technician contest. The contest will test students’ skills in today’s high-tech, fast-paced field of agricultural mechanization. We encourage any and all students to participate who have an interest in mechanics – no prior agricultural experience needed.
Test your skills to compete for $60,000 in scholarships and $25,000 in prizes!
About the Contest
With so much uncertainty surrounding many jobs, being a technician in the agriculture industry is as certain of a career path that you can choose. The goal of this contest is both to celebrate the skills needed to perform such a job, as well as expose students to the opportunities available within the agricultural mechanization field, specifically with Western Equipment. Students will apply mechanical knowledge, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills and interact with industry professionals.
The contest will take place January 18, 2020, at the Western Equipment service shop in Amarillo, Texas (10800 I-27, Amarillo, TX 79119). Registration is due January 12, 2020.
Students will all compete as individuals – this is not a team event. However, we encourage and welcome multiple students from each school.
****REGISTRATION HAS CLOSED****
Rules & Regulations
- Eligible participants must be in their junior or senior year of high school. No participation in specific clubs or organizations is required.
- Awards, prizes and scholarships are sponsored by Western Equipment.
- The contest will be judged by Western Equipment, John Deere corporate representatives, Navarro College and Garden City Community College, as well as other industry professionals. During the contest, students may be evaluated for potential future job opportunities within the industry.
- Only the judges and the supervising attendants will be permitted in the immediate vicinity while the contest is taking place. However, any parent or guardian is welcome to attend the event.
- Decisions of the judges will be final.
Station 1 – Written Test
The written test will be comprised general mechanical questions, comprised of true/false and multiple choice. Multiple choice questions may have one or more correct answers.
Stations 2-5 – Mechanical Evaluation & Test
John Deere mowers, Gators, tractors and related parts may be considered for equipment evaluation and testing.
9:00 - 9:30 AM – Registration
9:30 – 10:00 AM – Written Test
10:30 – 12:30 PM - Mechanical Evaluation & Test
1:00 PM – Lunch, Presentation from John Deere Tech Representatives, and Awards
Store tours and info sessions will be available throughout the day.
Each participant will be awarded points for each station. The points will be totaled to determine the event winners. Prizes will be awarded to top participants. The prizes will consist of $60,000 in scholarships to a John Deere Ag Tech school and $25,000 in other prize items.
* Scholarship winner’s choice: Navarro College or Garden City Community College. Upon completion of the John Deere Tech program, the student will have a full-time job offer with Western Equipment.
**All participants will be eligible to apply for a Western Equipment sponsorship to a John Deere Ag Tech school, regardless of placing. Sponsored students have guaranteed employment upon graduation at a Western Equipment location.
For more information about this contest, contact James Boone at email@example.com or 580-309-3974.