2021 Western Equipment Ag Tech Open Invitational
Western Equipment formally invites all area high school juniors and seniors to participate in its annual ag technician contest. The contest will test students’ skills in today’s high-tech, fast-paced field of agricultural mechanization. We encourage any and all students to participate who have an interest in mechanics – no prior agricultural experience needed.
Test your skills to compete for scholarships and prizes!
About the Contest
With so much uncertainty surrounding many jobs, being a technician in the agriculture industry is as certain of a career path that you can choose. The goal of this contest is both to celebrate the skills needed to perform such a job, as well as expose students to the opportunities available within the agricultural mechanization field, specifically with Western Equipment. Students will apply mechanical knowledge, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills and interact with industry professionals.
The contest will take place January 16, 2021, at the Western Equipment service shop in Plainview, Texas (3401 N I-27, Plainview, TX 79072). Registration is due January 12, 2021. REGISTRATION MAY CLOSE EARLY. There are limited spots available for the event, once these spots are filled registration will close.
Students will all compete as individuals – this is not a team event. However, we encourage and welcome multiple students from each school. High school juniors and seniors from any state are welcome to participate.
Rules & Regulations
- Eligible participants must be in their junior or senior year of high school. No participation in specific clubs or organizations is required.
- Awards, prizes and scholarships are sponsored by Western Equipment.
- The contest will be judged by Western Equipment, John Deere corporate representatives, Navarro College and Garden City Community College, as well as other industry professionals. During the contest, students may be evaluated for potential future job opportunities within the industry.
- Only the judges and the supervising attendants will be permitted in the immediate vicinity while the contest is taking place. However, any parent or guardian is welcome to attend the event.
- Decisions of the judges will be final.
Station 1 – Written Test
The written test will be comprised of general mechanical questions, comprised of true/false and multiple choice. Multiple-choice questions may have one or more correct answers.
Stations 2-5 – Mechanical Evaluation & Test
John Deere mowers, Gators, tractors and related parts may be considered for equipment evaluation and testing.
9:00 - 9:30 AM – Registration
9:30 – 10:00 AM – Written Test
10:30 – 12:30 PM - Mechanical Evaluation & Test
1:00 PM – Lunch, Presentation from John Deere Tech Representatives, and Awards
Store tours and info sessions will be available throughout the day.
For more information about this contest, contact James Boone at email@example.com or 580-309-3974.